What is error code 0xc0000428? How to fix Windows 10 error code 0xc0000428? How to get data off when encountering the BSOD 0xc0000428? This post written from MiniTool will show you how to solve this error 0xc0000428 and how to rescue your data when coming across this Windows startup error.
What Is Error Code 0xc0000428?
When booting your computer, you may encounter the Blue Screen of Death with the error code 0xc0000428. When coming across this error, it means that you can’t boot your computer normally.
In general, when encountering this error code 0xc0000428, you will see the following message:
Your PC/Device needs to be repaired.
The operating system couldn’t be loaded because the digital signature of a file couldn’t be verified.
Error code: 0xc0000428
As shown in the following picture:
However, what may cause the error code 0xc0000428? In the following section, we will briefly demonstrate some reasons.
Need to trigger a BSoD screen on your computer? Here is how to force a Blue Screen of Death on Windows 11/10 using 3 different ways.
What Causes Error Code 0xc0000428?
In this section, we will list some reasons that may give rise to the error code 0xc0000428.
1. BOOTMGR file is outdated.
If you have installed a newer version of Windows but the BOOTMGR file is not updated properly, you may encounter the Windows 10 error code 0xc0000428.
2. Windows can’t verify the digital signature of recent hardware or software.
The error code 0xc0000428 may also occur if Windows cannot verify the digital signature of recent hardware or software. So, all digital signature of hardware or software should be signed correctly.
After having learned what causes the error code 0xc0000428, you may ask how to solve the BSOD 0xc0000428.
But before we proceed on the solutions to fix the digital signature for the file couldn’t be verified error in Windows, the important thing you need do is to rescue data from the unbootable computer.
Hence, in the following section, we will show you how to get data off from the computer encountering the error 0xc0000428.
How to Rescue Data When Encountering BSOD Error 0xc0000428?
In the section, we will walk you through how to rescue data from the unbootable computer. To retrieve your data from the problematic computer, the professional backup software – MiniTool ShadowMaker would be a good utility.
MiniTool ShadowMaker enables you to back up disks, partitions, files, folders, and the operating system. It can also help to rescue data even though the computer is unbootable.
Hence, in the following section, we will show you how to get data off from the unbootable computer so as to keep them safe.
Now, download MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial from the following button immediately or choose to purchase an advanced edition. After that, we will show how to rescue data from the computer with the error code 0xc0000428.
Step 1: Create bootable media
- As your computer is unbootable, the bootable media is required.
- Install MiniTool ShadowMaker on a normal computer and launch it.
- Click Keep Trial.
- Choose Connect in This Computer to enter its main interface.
- Go to the Tools page.
- Click the Media Builder feature to continue.
- Then you can follow the wizard to create the bootable media. It is recommended to create the bootable media to the USB drive.
Step 2: Boot the problematic computer
- After creating the bootable media, connect it to the problematic computer.
- Boot your computer and press the setup key continuously to enter the BIOS settings. (The setup key may vary due to different computer brands.)
- Change the boot sequence. Here, you should set the bootable media as the first boot order.
Step 3: Select data you want to back up
- After entering the main interface of MiniTool ShadowMaker, please go to the Backup page.
- Click the Source module to continue.
- Then choose Folders and Files.
- Next, select the files you need to rescue from the unbootable computer and click OK to continue.
Step 4: Select the destination path
- After selecting the backup source, you need to choose a destination to save the backups.
- Click Destination to continue.
- Then you can choose a destination path and click OK to continue. It is recommended to save the backups to an external hard drive.
Step 5: Start to back up
After selecting the backup source and destination, click Back up Now to perform the task immediately so as to retrieve data from the unbootable computer.
When it is finished, you have successfully gotten data from the problematic computer which encountered the error 0xc000048.
Besides the Backup feature, you can also use the Sync feature to rescue your data from the unbootable computer.
How to sync files so as to keep data safe in Windows 10/8/7? Try to use the best file sync software – MiniTool ShadowMaker.
After having rescued data from the unbootable computer which came across the error code 0xc0000428, it is time to fix this error.
How to Solve the BSOD 0xc0000428 Error on Start Up?
In this section, we will walk you through how to fix the digital signature for this file couldn’t be verified error in Windows. So, just keep on your reading.
Solution 1. Update BOOTMGR Manually
As we have mentioned in the above part, the Windows 10 error code 0xc0000428 may be caused by the outdated BOOTMGR file. So, in order to solve it, you can try updating BOOTMGR manually.
Now, here is the tutorial.
Step 1: Create the Bootable USB Drive
- As your computer is unbootable when running into the error 0xc0000428, a bootable USB drive is necessary. If you already have one, ignore this step and go on to the following steps.
- Click here to download the media creation tool on a normal computer and launch it to create the installation media.
Related article: A Complete Guide to Windows 10 Media Creation Tool: How to Use
Step 2: Enter Windows Recovery Environment
- Connect the bootable USB drive to the problematic computer and boot from it.
- Choose the language, time, and keyboard input. Then click Next to continue.
- Then choose Repair your computer.
- Next, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Command Prompt to continue.
Step 3: Start to update BOOTMGR
In the pop-up window, type the command bcdboot d:\windows /s c: and hit Enter to continue.
When the process is finished, you can reboot your computer and check whether the Windows startup error 0xc0000428 is solved.
If this solution is not effective, try other solutions.
Solution 2. Disable Driver Signature Enforcement
The BSOD 0xc0000428 error may be caused by the incorrect driver signature of hardware or drivers. So, in order to fix digital signature for this file couldn’t be verified in Windows error, you can try disabling it.
Now, here is the tutorial.
Step 1: Boot your computer from installation media
- In this way, you also need to boot your computer from the installation media so as to enter the Windows Recovery Environment.
- For the detailed operation instructions, you can refer to the part listed above.
Step 2: Disable driver signature enforcement
- After entering WinRE, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Settings.
- Then click Restart to continue.
- In the pop-up window, you can see the option Disable driver signature enforcement is listed here.
- Press F7 to continue.
When all the steps are finished, you can reboot your computer and check whether the BSOD 0xc0000428 error is solved.
If this work does not take effect, try the following solutions.
Solution 3. Run Startup Repair
In this solution, you can run the Windows built-in tool – Startup Repair to fix the startup error 0xc0000428. This feature will help you to automatically scan and fix some problems.
Now, here is the tutorial.
Step 1: Boot your computer to enter WinRE
- Boot your computer from the Windows installation media and click Repair your computer to continue.
- For the detailed operation instructions, you can refer to the first way listed above.
Step 2: Run Startup Repair
- After entering the Windows Recovery Environment, choose Troubleshoot > Advanced Options > Startup Repair to continue.
- Then you can select the user account and input the password to continue. Next, the Startup Repair will begin to scan and fix the problems of your computer.
When the whole process is finished, you can reboot your computer to check whether the BSOD 0xc00000428 error is solved.
Solution 4. Reinstall the Operating System
If none of the above solutions is effective, you can try reinstalling the operating system.
Now, we will show you how to reinstall the operating system.
Step 1: Boot computer from the installation media
- Connect the installation media to your computer and boot from it.
- Then click Install Now to continue.
Step 2: Start to reinstall the operating system
- After that, you are required to input the product key. If you don’t have, click I don’t have a product key, but you also need to input it later.
- Select the operating system you want to install.
- Accept the license terms.
- Next, you can choose which types of installation you want. Here, it is recommended to choose the Custom: Install Windows only (advanced).
- Now, you are required to choose a hard drive to install the operating system.
- After that, you can wait patiently for the installing process to be finished.
When all steps are finished, you can solve all system-related problems including the error code 0xc0000428. So, if the solutions to the error 0xc0000428 are not effective, reinstalling the operating system is also OK.
This article tells how to reinstall Windows 10 without CD or USB drive, as well as reinstall Windows 10 from USB drive with ease on ASUS, Dell, etc.
Feel free to watch this video for a more intuitive solution guide:
What to Do After Solving BSOD 0xc0000428?
After having solved the error code 0xc0000428 or other problems, what can you do? In order to better protect your system and computer, it is suggested that you should create a system image.
In this way, you can directly use the system image to restore your computer to a normal state or a previous state when encountering BSOD 0xc0000428 error again or other problems.
Hence, to create a system image, the professional backup software – MiniTool ShadowMaker mentioned in the above part is capable.
In addition, you can also read the post: How to Back up Windows to Safeguard Your Computer? Try MiniTool! to know how to create a system image.
In conclusion, we have mentioned what the 0xc0000428 is and what may cause this BIOS error. In addition, we also walk you through how to solve this digital signature for this file couldn’t be verified error Windows 10.
However, if you have any better solution to fix this Windows startup error, you can share it in the comment zone. If you have any problem with MiniTool ShadowMaker, contact us via the email [email protected] and we will reply to you as soon as possible.