Do you know what the system restore point is? Do you know how to create restore point Windows 10/8/7? Do you know how to restore system Windows 10/8/7? This post will give you the answers.
What Is a System Restore Point?
System Restore Point is a built-in feature of Windows that allows you to revert some changes of your computer to an earlier state. System restore point is used to reverse the system files, installed applications, Windows Registry and system settings.
The system restore point only affects the Windows files. For example, if the computer encounters some problems after installing a driver, you can use the system restore point to restore your computer to an earlier state.
However, the system restore point will not help you to restore your personal files such as the document, music, photos, videos and so on. For example, if you mistakenly delete some important files and you can’t recover it from the Recycle bin, the system restore point cannot help you to recover them, either.
Therefore, you can know that the system restore point can only help you to reverse the changes of Windows files. And it also has some differences between the Windows restore point and the system image.
System image is an exact copy of a drive. By default, the system image includes the drives required Windows to run and also includes Windows and your system settings, programs and personal files. The system image can help you to perform a complete restoration when your operating system or hard drive fails to work.
Related article: 2 Ways to Restore Computer to Earlier Date in Windows 10
After reading the above part, we believe that you have known what the system restore point is. However, do you know how to create system restore point Windows 10/8/7?
And in the following part, we will show you how to create a system restore point with step by step guide.
How to Create Restore Point Windows 10/8/7?
In order to create restore point Windows 7/8/10, you can take advantage of the Windows snap-in tool – System Restore.
Now, follow the instruction to set restore point Windows 10.
Step 1: Turn on System Protection
1. Type Create a restore point in the search box of Windows 10.
2. In the System Properties window, click the Configure…button.
3. Turn on system protection since it is disabled by default.
Step 2: Create System Restore Point Windows 10
1. In the System Properties window, choose the system related partition and click the Create… button.
2. Add a description to the system restore point and click Create to continue. The description can help you to distinguish different restore points when restoring system.
Step 3: System Restore Point Creating Process
- The system restore point process will begin and you are required to wait for a few minutes.
- After the process is finished, you will receive a message which tells you that the restore point was created successfully. Then click the Close button to exit the System Properties window.
After all steps are finished, you can successfully create system restore point Windows 10/8/7. And if you have encountered some problems of the system files, Windows Registry or system settings, you can use the system restore point to reverse some changes.
However, do you know how to restore system in Windows 10/8/7?
How to Restore System?
As is well known, restoring system with the system restore points is a good way to solve some Windows problems. So if you have some Windows problems such as driver problems, you can try to restore system.
And if your computer still can boot when it encounters some problems, you can perform system restore in System Properties windows after booting your computer. However, if your computer fails to boot when it encounters some problem, how to restore system?
In such a situation, you need to perform system restore Windows 10 from boot or from Windows Recovery Environment. And then we will show you how to restore Windows 10 from boot with step by step guide.
Step 1: Enter WinRE When Computer Can’ t Boot
- Press the power button two or three times to enter Troubleshoot page.
- Choose the Advanced options > System Restore to continue.
Step 2: Perform System Restore
1. In the popup window, click Next to continue.
2. Choose a system restore point and click Next. If there are several restore points, you can choose one based on the description and the creating time and date.
3. Confirm the system restore point and click Finish.
When the system restore process is finished, you can reverse your computer to a previous state. And the system restore point can also help you to solve some system malfunctions or other problems.
In addition, you can know that the ways to create restore point Windows 10 and to restore system with the Windows 10 restore point are very simple. So, it would be a good way to protect your computer.
However, some users complain that they have encountered some problems when are trying to create restore point Windows 10 or trying to perform system restore. And here, we will list some common problems about system restore point.
Common Problems of System Restore
In general, there are some problems of system restore including creating system restore point and restoring system.
Now, we list some common problems of system restore.
1. System Restore point cannot be created
System Restore is a built-in feature of Windows that allows you to restore your Windows files and settings to a previous state. But some users complain that they have encountered the issue system restore point cannot be created because the specified subject was not found. And to fix this problem, you can read the post: 6 Ways to Restore Point Cannot Be Created – Fix#1 Is the Best
2. System Restore point is missing
The issue system restore point is missing may occur when you are trying to restore your computer to an earlier date. This issue may be caused by Windows update, no free space for creating restore point Windows 10, mistaken deletion of restore points, the System Restore disabled or turned off, defragmented page file and so on.
3. System Restore did not complete successfully
The problem system restore did not complete successfully may occur when restoring system. And it may be caused by various reasons. For example, the system restore failed to restore the directory from the restore point; system restore could not access a file; system restore failed to extract the file or other reasons.
4. System Restore stuck
When you are trying to restore your computer to a previous date, you may come across the problem system restore stuck including two kinds of two situations: system restore is initializing and Windows system restore stuck on restoring files.
Of course, there are some problems of system restore and we don’t list all of them.
From above information, you can know that there are some problems when creating restore point Windows 10 or performing system restore.
You may wonder whether there is a better way to safeguard your computer and files. The answer is positive.
A Better Way to Safeguard Your PC
As we have mentioned in the above part, the system restore point only reverse your Windows files or setting and it doesn’t affect the personal files, documents, photos or others.
In addition, system restore often come across some troubling problems.
Thus, you can choose a better way to safeguard your PC and files. It is recommended to create a Windows backup.
The system image backup not only includes the Windows files and settings, but also includes the personal files and programs. And the Windows backup image can help you to perform a complete a restoration when your computer fails to work.
MiniTool ShadowMaker would be the best and professional backup software to back up Windows.
It provides the service of backing up files, folder, partitions, disks, and the operating system. It is also a piece of SSD cloning software.
Get MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial for free within 30 days.
Now, it is time to back up Windows 10.
Step 1: Connect your local computer
- Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker.
- Choose Connect in This Computer to manage your local computer.
Step 2: Choose Backup Source
- Go to the Backup page and MiniTool ShadowMaker has selected the operating system by default.
- If the operating system is not selected, you can click Source module to choose Disk and Partition and choose the system related partition.
Step 3: Choose Backup Destination
- Click Destination module to continue.
- There are five options to be chosen. You can choose any one based on your own needs. It is recommended to choose an external hard drive. Then click OK to continue.
In order to provide better protection for your computer and files, there are three important things you need to pay attention to.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker enables you to set Windows backup on a regular basis, and you can set the automatic backup time by clicking the Schedule button.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker also provides three different backup schemes including the Full backup, Incremental backup and Differential backup. The Incremental backup is selected by default and you can click Scheme to change it.
- MiniTool ShadowMaker can also help to set some advanced backup parameters, such as the backup compression level, etc. Just click Options button to know more.
Step 4: Start to Backup Windows 10
- Click Back up Now to start Windows backup immediately.
- Or click Back up Later to delay the Windows backup process. And you can restart it in the Manage page.
Do you know how to backup hard drive Windows 10 with ease? This post will show three ways to backup hard drive with the professional hard drive backup software.
Step 5: Create Bootable Media
- Go to the Tools page.
- Click Media Builder feature to create bootable media. It can be used to boot the computer when it fails to boot from the operating system.
You can see MiniTool ShadowMaker is a powerful image tool to help you to create a Windows backup image so as to keep the computer and file safe.
And with this Windows backup image, you can restore your computer to an earlier date.
In conclusion, this post has introduced what the system restore point is and how to create restore point Windows 10. In addition, this post also introduces how to restore system with the Windows 10 restore point.
We also introduced a better way to safeguard your computer and files. That is to say, you can create a backup image with the professional backup software – MiniTool ShadowMaker.
And if you have any problem with MiniTool ShadowMaker, please don’t hesitate to contact us via the email [email protected] and we will reply to you as soon as possible.
Restoration Point FAQ
- Type Create System Restore Point in the search box of Windows and choose the best-matched one.
- Go to System Protection tab, choose System Restore… to continue.
- Click Next.
- Then you can find the system restore points are listed here.