Windows Update is a good way for users to keep system up to date and Windows Update can also fix some bugs of the operating system. However, some Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 10 users say Windows Update keeps turning off. This post shows how to fix this issue.
Why Does Windows Update Keep Turning Off
Windows Update refers to a Microsoft service for the Windows 9x and Windows NT families of the operating system. The Windows Update can automatically download and install Microsoft Windows software updates. These updates may provide important and various patches for the operating system.
Windows Update is a good way to keep system up to date. But some Windows users are encountering an issue that Windows Update keeps turning off.
Windows Update turning itself off would be an annoying problem. But why does Windows Update keep turning off?
The issue that Windows Update turned off by itself may commonly be caused by antivirus software and Windows Update service.
The antivirus software may cause issues with other programs, so there is no exception for Windows Update. In addition, If Windows Update service is not started properly, the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off also may occur.
Therefore, do you know how to solve the problem automatic Windows Update keeps turning off Windows 10?
If you come across the error that Windows 10 Update Assistant is already running, this post is what you required as it shows the solutions.
4 Solutions to Windows Update Keeps Turning Off
In the following section, we will walk you through how to fix Windows update automatically turned off by itself. Here are 4 solutions available.
Solution 1. Disable Antivirus Software
As mentioned in the above section, the issue Windows Update keeps turning off may be caused by the antivirus software. So, in order to solve this problem, you can try disabling antivirus software firstly.
Here is the tutorial.
Step 1: Select the antivirus software
Right-click the antivirus software icon from the system tray.
Step 2: Disable the antivirus software
- Select the Avast shield control from the context menu to continue. (Here we take Avast as an example and it may vary depending on actual situation.)
- Then you can see there are several options available for you. You can choose the disabling time. Here, we choose Disable permanently to continue.
After you have disabled the antivirus software, you can launch Windows Update and check whether the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off is solved.
How to disable (stop or close), remove (or uninstall) Avast antivirus in Windows and Mac? This post shows you multiple methods for this work.
Solution 2. Perform a Clean Boot
Here, we will show you the second solution to solve Windows Update turning itself off. You can try performing a clean boot to solve this problem.
Here is the tutorial.
Step 1: Open System Configuration window
- Press Windows key and R key together to open Run dialog.
- Input the msconfig in the box and hit Enter to continue.
Step 2: Perform a clean boot
1. In the pop-up window, please go to the Services tab.
2. Then check the option Hide all Microsoft services and click Disable all to continue.
3. Then go to the Startup tab and click Open Task Manager to continue.
4. In the popup windows, you can see there are several startup items listed here. Select the item you don’t need and click Disable to continue.
5. Returning to the System Configuration window, click Apply and OK to continue.
After that, you are required to reboot your computer. Then run Windows Update again and check whether the issue that Windows Update settings keep turning off is solved.
Windows 10 automatic updating is always troublesome. This post shows you how to stop Windows 10 update with 7 solutions.
Solution 3. Make a Change in the Registry
If the above solutions are not effective, you may need to try the third solution to fix the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off. In this method, you can try making a change in the Registry. Follow the below instruction to continue.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt
- Type Command Prompt in the search box of Windows 10/8/7 and choose the best-matched one.
- Right-click it to choose Run as administrator to continue.
Step 2: Type the command
1. In the pop-up command line window, type the following command and hit Enter to continue.
reg add “HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\Auto Update” /v AUOptions /t REG_DWORD /d 0 /f
2. Then type the following command and hit Enter to continue.
sc config wuauserv start= auto
When you have finished all steps, you can exit the command line windows and reboot your computer. Then run Windows Update again to check whether the issue that Windows 7 Update keeps turning off is solved.
Solution 4. Reset Windows Update Components
As we mentioned in the beginning, the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off may be caused by the Windows Update service itself. So, in order to solve the Windows Update service turns itself off issue, you can try resetting Windows Update Components.
In the following section, we will show you how to reset Windows Update components with the step-by-step guide. Follow the instruction to continue.
Step 1: Open Command Prompt
- Type the Command Prompt in the search box and choose the best-matched one to continue.
- Right-click it and choose Run as administrator.
Step 2: Type the commands
In the command line window, type the following commands and hit Enter after each command.
- net stop bits
- net stop wuauserv
- net stop appidsvc
- net stop cryptsvc
- Ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
- Ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
- net start bits
- net start wuauserv
- net start appidsvc
- net start cryptsvc
After that, you can reboot your computer and run Windows Update again to check whether the issue Windows Update turned off by itself automatically is solved.
After having fixed the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off, we recommend you to create a system image. In this way, if you encounter the same issue again, you can use the system image to restore the computer to a normal state.
Besides the above reason, there is another reason for you to create a system image. Sometimes Windows Update may fail to work or Windows could not complete the installation during the process of updating Windows. Your computer may fail to work if updating Windows is failed. Thus, it is strongly suggested that you should create a system image before performing Windows update.
After creating system image, you can feel relaxed even though updating Windows failed.
You may wonder how to back up the computer or create system image easily. In the following section, we will show you an easy way to do that.
To back up the operating system or the computer easily, you can use a piece of third-party software. Here, we recommend MiniTool ShadowMaker. It is a piece of professional Windows backup software which is designed to back up files, folders, disks, partitions and the operating system.
Besides its back up feature, it also enables you to perform some recovery solutions with the system image created before. It can also clone the OS from HDD to SSD without data loss.
So, after solving the issue that Windows Update keeps turning off, get MiniTool ShadowMaker Trial immediately to protect your PC. Or you can choose to purchase an advanced version.
Now, here is the tutorial on how to back up the operating system.
Step 1. Launch MiniTool ShadowMaker
- Download MiniTool ShadowMaker and install it on your computer.
- Launch it.
- Click Keep Trial to continue.
- Click Connect in This Computer to enter its main interface.
Step 2: Select the backup source
- After entering its main interface, please go to the Backup MiniTool ShadowMaker chooses the operating system by default.
- You can also click Source module to choose backup source by yourself. Then choose Disk and Partitions to select the system disk to continue.
Step 3: Select backup destination
- Click Destination module to choose the destination to save the backup image.
- Here are five paths available. It is recommended to save the backup image to an external hard drive. You can choose a hard drive in Computer and click OK to continue.
Step 4: Start to back up
- After selecting the backup source and destination, you can click Back up Now to perform the operating system backup immediately.
- Or you can click Back up Later to delay the backup task and restart it in the Manage page.
After you have finished all steps, you have successfully created a system image. If you encounter the issue that Windows 10 automatic update keeps turning off again, you can restore your computer to an earlier state with this system image created before.
Why Do You Need to Upgrade Windows?
We believe that most of you don’t like to update Windows and think it is troublesome and time-consuming. In fact, updating Windows has several advantages. Here, we will briefly show why you need to upgrade Windows.
Windows update has many advantages. For example:
1. Windows update addresses Windows issues and bugs.
Windows updates always include some paths which can address the Windows issues and bugs. Although these bugs or issues are not critical, they may impact the performance and reliability of the Windows. So, in order to enjoy better performance, try updating Windows.
2. Prevent your system from being attacked by malicious software.
The second advantage of Windows update is that it can prevent your system from being attacked by malicious software. Hardly any code is perfect and weakness will be identified sooner or later. The security issue also is one of the worst problems and they can be attacked by the malware and potentially damage your system. So, updating Windows in time can protect your system from malware.
3. Windows update brings new features.
Windows updates often bring some new feature. For instance, it brings Cortana, Ransomware Protection features, etc in Windows 10.
Apart from those above advantages, updating Windows also has many other advantages. In a word, in order to protect your computer and system, update Windows in time.
Why my Windows 10 won’t update? Why Windows 10 update failed? Here we list 7 ways to fix Win 10 update error and force Windows 10 Update normally.
To sum up, this post has introduced why Windows Updates keeps turning off and also shown how to fix this problem with 4 solutions.
After solving the issue that automatic Windows Update keeps turning off Windows 10 or before updating Windows, it is recommended to create a system image to avoid some accidents.
If you have any better solution to the issue that Windows 10 auto Update keeps turning off, you can share it on the comment zone. If you have any problem with MiniTool ShadowMaker, please contact us via the email [email protected] and we will reply to you as quickly as possible.