What is a word processor? In this post, you will learn about the word processor/processing. Some top free word processors for PC/Mac are listed for your reference. Download a free Word processing program for your Windows 10/11 computer to create and edit documents with ease.
What Is a Word Processor?
Word processing means using a device like a computer to create, edit, save, or print documents. A word processor a software program that lets you do word processing on your computer or other devices.
In general, there are three types of word processors: mechanical, electronic, and software.
The first word processing device is a machine for transcribing letters. It is similar to a typewriter developed by Henry Mill.
In the late 1960s, electromechanical and electronic word processing devices appear. IBM developed a magnetic Tape/Selectric typewriter. This device lets users rewrite text that had been written on another tape.
In the late 1970s and 1980s, word processing came with the appearance of the personal computer, and word processing software programs also appeared for personal computers.
Common features of a word processor:
- Create, edit, save and print documents electronically.
- Have the insert, copy, cut, paste, delete, search, replace, print, and the basic functions.
- Advanced word processing features like file management, graphics, font specification, footnotes, cross reference, headers and footers, layout, macros, spell and grammar check, collaboration, import data, autocorrect, merge, etc.
This post introduces 5 free online word processors to allow you to create, edit, save, or share documents anywhere you want.
Top Free Word Processors to Create/Edit Documents
- Microsoft Word
- WPS Office
- Google Docs
- LibreOffice Writer
- SoftMaker FreeOffice
- OpenOffice Writer
- SSuite WordGraph
Word Processor Download
You can go to the official website of the word processor program to easily download the application to your computer.
If you want to download Microsoft Word, you can refer to this post: Microsoft Word Download and Install for Windows 10/11.
To get WPS Office, you can refer to this post: Free Download WPS Office for Windows 10 PC/Mac/Android.
Here are the top 5 free Microsoft Word alternatives that you can use to create, edit, save, or print word documents.
Free Way to Recover Deleted/Lost Word Documents
To recover deleted or lost Word documents or any other files from your computer, you can try a professional data recovery program.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery is a professional free data recovery application for Windows. You can use it to recover deleted or lost files, photos, videos, emails, etc. from Windows computers, USB flash drives, SD/memory cards, external hard drives, SSDs, etc.
MiniTool Power Data Recovery helps you tackle various data loss situations, e.g. mistaken file deletion, hard drive corruption or other errors, malware/virus infection, system crash, and more. It even helps you recover data when the PC won’t boot.
Download and install MiniTool Power Data Recovery on your computer. Check the simple guide below on how to use it to recover deleted/lost Word documents or other files.
- Launch MiniTool Power Data Recovery to access its main UI.
- On the main UI, choose the target drive and click Scan. If you want to scan the whole disk or device, you can click the Devices tab and choose the target disk/device to scan.
- After the scan process finishes, you can check the scan result to find if your wanted files are there. Check needed files and click the Save button to store the recovered files. You should select a new device or place to store the recovered files to avoid data overwriting.