You may take a lot of riding videos with your GoPro devices; it’s a very common but meaningful thing. This helps to record the significant moments in your life. Yet, the problem is the video files could get lost due to different reasons, for instance, accidental deletion. So I think it’s necessary to talk about the recovery of GoPro video files.
Lost your very important videos from GoPro? Feel very depressed when knowing this? If you are one of the victims of the precious videos missing issue, what I am going to talk about here would be helpful. Please just keep cool (don’t behave like ants on a hot pan, which will make things worse), and carry out the operations for GoPro video recovery I will show in following content.
Videos, no matter where they’re stored, can be lost due to a lot of reasons, including:
- Memory card corruption
- System crash
- Sudden power failure
- Accidental deletion/formatting
- Virus attack
- And so on
What you need to know is the real content of lost videos is still on the device and it will keep intact until it has been overwritten by new data. So I strongly suggest that all of you don’t save any new data to the GoPro before GoPro file recovery is completed in the way you want.
GoPro Video Recovery on Windows & Mac
Actually, GoPro is a sports camera manufacturer located in the United States. Since GoPro camera has been widely used by extreme sports groups, such as surfing, skiing, extreme cycling and parachuting, GoPro is now almost a synonyms of “special camera for extreme sports”. So it can be imagined that lots of precious moments are often recorded in a GoPro camera, in the form of videos and photos; and you may never ever experience most of those unforgettable/breath-taking moments once again. As a result, it’s no exaggeration to say that you lose the videos/photos, you lose everything.
Right here, I am determined to mainly teach you how to recover GoPro video file in easy ways; this decision is made basically due to 2 reasons:
- Videos in GoPro are so important to its owner.
- A large group of people find their GoPro files disappeared and want to get help by asking questions on many forums and webpages.
Now, you should seize time to get the video recovery software: MiniTool Power Data Recovery (for Windows platform) or MiniTool Mac Data Recovery (for Mac platform).
Then, install the software to computer local drive. At last, connect your GoPro memory card to computer and launch the software to start GoPro recovery quickly.
To tell the truth, the GoPro corrupt file recovery is not so difficult as long as you get a professional recovery tool.
GoPro Data Recovery on Windows
A specific case: 16 GB of video doesn't show up on SD card.
I was outwest filming. Each night I usually offload the files on to my laptop. After 2nd day of riding, I could only offload half of the 2nd day’s videos to my laptop before the hard drive was full. I didn't think it was much of an issue because there were only 4 GB of data left on the card, so I left it. Next day was the third and final of using the GoPro and riding. Came back home two days later to find that only the second half of day 3 videos were visible on the SD. Offloaded what was there. The SD card doesn't show any files on the card, however, Windows shows it as having 16 GB of info still on it. Has anyone ever had this issue? Does anyone have an idea on how to retrieve the files? I've asked a buddy at work, he says my best bet is getting software that could maybe retrieve the files. I am more interested knowing if this will be an issue in the future or if I should do something differently to keep this from happening.– asked by FocusJR on GoPro Forums
In the above case, the user suddenly finds that his 16GB of videos saved on GoPro camera SD card doesn’t show up. He now wants to start the video recovery and looks for a qualified tool to help him.
I suspect that his SD card is damaged somehow during the process of connecting SD card to laptop and transferring data from it to computer. For this case, I advise him to:
- Connect the SD card properly to computer.
- Run Minitool Power Data Recovery.
- Choose “Removable Disk Drive” to scan the SD card to see whether the needed videos can be found.
Look, here are the specific steps for SD card data recovery on Windows:
- Look how to fix when USB drive is not recognized.
- If you have accidentally deleted GoPro videos and want to know how to recover deleted videos from GoPro Hero 5, you can select “This PC” and scan the SD card quickly.
- If you would like to know how to recover deleted photos from GoPro Hero 4/GoPro Hero 5, you should read this post.
Step 2: select the SD card connected to the computer from the drive list on the right and then press “Scan” button to search for lost videos.
You can click on the “Settings” button to choose only the video format you want to recover so as to accelerate the scan. Please remember to click on the “OK” button to confirm.
Step 3: look through the found files and pick out the video files you’re looking for; then, click on the “Save” button to set a safe storage path for them (the SD card shouldn’t be chosen here).
This is the entire process of how to recover data from corrupted memory card of GoPro.
If you would like to recover other types of deleted files from SD card of GoPro devices, you may also try Power Data Recovery.
GoPro File Recovery on Mac
Case 1: how can I recover Files Deleted by GoPro Studio from the SD Card?
I accidentally clicked the Delete Files button after halting GoProStudio during the process of importing clips from the SD card. I was using a MAC. I have downloaded some of the recovery applications to try but can't see the files. I can find some of the .MP4 files but they are not viewable. Nothing has been written to the card since the delete so the files should all be there but not sure of GoProStudio is deleting them in a way the recovery applications can't recognize. Any ideas?– asked by nickd rapidsurf73171 on GoPro Support Hub
In this case, the user said that he accidentally deleted GoPro video and now wants to recover. But the problem is he can’t find a recovery application that could help. In fact, there are many people saying that “GoPro studio deleted my files” on the internet. So I suggest them, who are running Mac, download Stellar Data Recovery for Mac to see whether the deleted files can be found or not.
Look, here are the specific steps to recover data from memory card on a Mac:
Step 1: connect the SD card to your Mac properly; make sure it shows up on Mac. (How to fix external drive not showing up on Mac?)
Step 2: launch Stellar Data Recovery for Mac.
Step 3: browse the file types listed in the main interface and select the file type that you want to recover. Then, click Next to continue.
Step 4: select the target SD card and click on the Scan button
Step 5: wait for the scan and choose all the video files you need from the scan results.
Step 6: click on the Recover button and choose a storage place. Finally, click on the OK button to confirm your selection.
You can keep the Deep Scan feature enabled in order to find more video files on the SD card.
Case 2: is it possible to recover videos and photos deleted from SD card?
I uploaded my videos and photos to my computer (mac photos app) but they deleted and then were deleted off of my SD card. Is there any possibility to retrieve the deleted files? Only time I've ever been surfing and they were cool.– asked by nickd on GoPro Forums
In this case, the user said that his videos and photos are deleted suddenly after he uploaded them to computer; the files are also deleted from SD card. Now, he wants to retrieve the deleted files. On this occasion, I also suggest that he try Stellar Data Recovery for Mac, which is jointly released by MiniTool and Stellar.
This is the entire process of GoPro file recovery on Mac. If you would like to know more details on Mac file recovery, please read this post:
Believe it or not, we can make it easy to recover deleted data on Mac even if you are totally a novice.
GoPro Company Development
Though GoPro becomes a world famous action camera manufacturer, it was actually an American technology company which was founded in 2002. In addition to camera, the company also develops its own mobile apps and video-editing software.
- Before 2014, all of the company’s revenue came from hardware sales. But in the first quarter of 2014, the company worked with Microsoft to set up GoPro channel on XBOX, trying to attract advertising and third-party sponsorship in order to get a new revenue source.
- In March 2016, GoPro announced that it would acquire 2 mobile video editing applications (Replay and Splice) for 105,000,000 dollars in cash and stock. Those two deals finally accounted for about 22% of GoPro’s cash reserves.
- On November 30, 2016, GoPro announced that the company will lay off 15 percent of its staff and shut down its entertainment division, as part of the restructuring plan.
GoPro Camera History
It takes 2 years long for Nick Woodman to work on his first camera, after founding the company. Finally, he introduced the GoPro 35mm Hero in September 2004, at San Diego’s Action Sports Retailer trade show. It is said that Nick Woodman develops the original camera prototype when he fiddled with his mother’s sewing machine and an electric drill.
- About $150,000 worth of products were sold in the first year.
- Later, the company introduced its first Digital Hero in 2006.
- Provided with 10-second video capability, the first Digital Hero turned out to generate about $800,000 in revenue.
- But the bad news is that GoPro sales quadrupled to only $3.4 million in the following year.
- In 2014, the company started to sell the Hero3+ series (3 editions of different colors – black, silver and white. The performance is reduced in turn). The Hero3+ is capable of filming in 16:9 aspect ratio and it supports 4K UHD video & 12MP still photographs.
- On 24 September 2014, the Hero 4 was introduced.
- While on 20 September 2016, the Hero 5 was released, with an increase in performance, but decrease in price.
- On September 28th 2017, GoPro released the Hero 6 camera. This generation of camera claims improved stabilization over the Hero 5 models; besides, it is capable of capturing 4K video in 60 FPS.
- The GoPro Hero 7 went on sale in bricks-and-mortar stores on 27 September 2018 (internationally) and in the US on 30 September 2018.
A Brief Conclusion
GoPro camera has been used widely and frequently nowadays. A lot of precious videos and photos are often saved in a GoPro camera.
- Yet, since the capacity of GoPro memory card is limited, many people choose to transfer videos/photos to other drives to release free space for further use. Or some people like to edit videos/photos after taking them. Both are likely to cause data loss.
- Besides, there’re many other unexpected reasons that will result in GoPro video/photo loss, such as accidental deletion and virus invasion.
Noticing this, I decided to write this article to mainly help people with GoPro video recovery. The recovery process mainly includes 3 stages:
- Analyze the possible reasons for data loss.
- Choose the proper video recovery software (for Windows or for Mac).
- Carry out GoPro recovery process under guidance.
After that, I also provide a brief introduction to the development of GoPro company and GoPro camera. Please choose the part you’re most interested in to read in order to save time.