Users often choose to replace HDD with SSD, upgrade system, or clean unnecessary when experiencing a drop in PC performance. One of the most obvious signs of system performance degradation is slow speed. This article provides you with many effective ways to improve Windows 10 performance effectively. Please read them carefully and turn to the ones that are suitable for your case.
As the last operating system of Microsoft, Windows 10 now becomes the world's most used operating system. Speed, security, and usability are the main reasons that drive users to upgrade their OS to Windows 10 from an older version. However, there is a huge problem based on user feedback: the performance of Windows is dropping.
For that reason, it becomes urgent to find effective ways to help improve Windows 10 performance. The following content will focus on how to improve computer performance Windows 10 (including how to speed up Windows 10 laptop).
Improve Windows 10 Performance with Software
3 of the most popular problems that occur on a Windows 10 PC are:
- Windows 10 runs slow
- Windows 10 low disk space
- Windows 10 data security
MiniTool offers you wonderful Windows 10 optimization software to deal with these issues easily: MiniTool Partition Wizard, MiniTool Power Data Recovery and MiniTool ShadowMaker. In the following content, the system performance improvement around these 3 aspects will be discussed.
Windows 10 Running Slow
The most important thing to do to optimize Windows 10 performance is speeding up the system. How to make Windows 10 faster for gaming or working? Please just keep reading.
Upgrade the computer with SSD:
Fast speed is one of the most attractive aspects of SSD. Using SSD, instead of HDD, is an effective way to speed up Windows 10 boot and running. It is also one of the best Windows 10 performance tweaks for gaming.
Do you need to install Windows 10 again on the new SSD in order to fix Windows 10 very slow startup? Of course not; you need to get MiniTool Partition Wizard (the professional speed up Windows 10 software) to help you Migrate OS to SSD.
- Expand Wizard from left panel.
- Select Migrate OS to SSD/HD Wizard.
- Confirm How to migrate your OS.
- Select the target disk and click on the Next button.
- Check whether you’d like to Fit partitions to entire disk or Copy partitions without resize under Copy Options.
- Choose to Align partitions to 1MB or not.
- Choose to Use GUID Partition Table for the target disk or not.
- Click on the Next button.
- Click Finish in the next interface.
- Press the Apply button to execute operations and choose Yes to allow changes.
You’ll need to align all partitions on your disk (especially the one with a system installed on) after you have done the following things:
- Copied an advanced format HD or SSD to another advanced format HD/SSD.
- Changed the size of multiple partitions or moved the location of them many times.
Just select the target disk -> expand Check Disk from the left panel -> click Align All Partition -> wait for the alignment -> click on OK -> click Apply to execute pending changes.
Extend c drive:
If your C drive is going to be full, the speed will be affected a lot. At this time, the better way to fix (than clearing files from C) is increasing the size of C drive. Please look at the next part to know how to extend a partition.
How to make Windows 10 faster for gaming or daily work?
- Disable transparency effect in Windows 10's new Start menu.
- Disable the snazzy and built-in special effects (like visual effects) in Windows 10.
- Change the boot menu time-out under Startup and Recovery in Control Panel.
- Turn off tips under Notifications & actions in the Settings app.
- Change the power plan for better performance.
- Run maintenance tasks.
Running out of Disk Space
Another important aspect of Windows 10 optimization is keeping enough free space on disk, especially system drive. If you find the drive space is running out, the most effective way to fix is buying a new disk with larger capacity to replace the old disk. However, the more economical and less troublesome way to solve the low disk space problem on Windows 10 is to get more free space especially on system drive (C drive).
Extend partition with software:
It’s easy to find your system drive run out of space since there will be a large number of temporary files generated every day. You should allow MiniTool Partition Wizard to help you.
- Select C drive from the right panel.
- Click Partition from the menu bar on the top.
- Choose Extend from the submenu.
- Select a drive that you can take space from (the unallocated space is also available if there’s any).
- Decide how much space you want to take (you’re not advised to take all free space from the target drive).
- Click on the OK button to confirm.
- Tap Apply located in the upper left corner of the main interface of Windows 10 performance optimizing software.
- Choose Yes in the prompt window to allow changes.
- Wait for the operations to complete.
Why you’re not advised to use Disk Management to enlarge a partition?
There are mainly 2 reasons:
- One is that you must have unallocated space on the disk.
- The other is that the unallocated space must be adjacent to the system partition you want to extend.
Another choice is to run Disk Cleanup in Windows 10 to clear the unnecessary files so as to get more free space on C drive.
- Click on the Cortana icon/Cortana search box on the taskbar (how to fix when Windows 10 taskbar is not working?).
- Type disk cleanup into the textbox.
- Choose Disk Cleanup App from the search result.
- Select the C: drive from the drive list.
- Click on the OK button to confirm.
- Wait for the calculating process to finish.
- Select the file types you don’t need under Files to delete area.
- The Description area will help you understand what the selected files are.
- Click on the OK button to confirm your selection.
When you see the low disk space error in Windows 10, you can get more free space by the following steps:
- Click on the Clean up system files button in the Disk Cleanup for (C:) window.
- Select C: drive and repeat the following steps mentioned just now.
In addition to Disk Cleanup, the DiskPart Clean command is also used frequently to clean a system. If you find you have deleted important files by Disk Clean, you should recover data at once by using professional data recovery software:
If you need to recover data lost by DiskPart clean, but have no experience, the software recommended in this page will be your great assistant.
Free up space with storage sense:
- Open Settings app by pressing Start + I buttons combination on the keyboard.
- Choose the first option – System – in Windows Settings.
- Shift to Storage from Display in the left-side panel.
- Find Storage sense area in the right-side panel.
- Click Free up space now link (for users running Windows 10 May 2019 Update, they should click Temporary files option under Local Disk C: area).
- Check all types of temporary files (like Thumbnails and Recycle Bin) you want to delete.
- Click on the Remove files button to start deleting them.
- Wait for the deleting process to complete.
Please be advised that you can use Storage sense to free up space automatically by configuring Change how we free up space automatically.
Windows 10 Data Recovery
Another aspect of how to improve PC performance or improve laptop performance is to ensure data security. After all, some of the files stored on the computer are very crucial for PC running while others are very significant to users.
You should recover data from Windows 10 by using MiniTool Power Data Recovery when necessary:
Step 1: get the setup program of MiniTool Power Data Recovery and store it to a drive which doesn’t contain any lost data. If you don’t trust it, you can experience the trial edition first. But you need to notice:
- The trial edition only allows you to scan disk and preview files.
- To recover found data, you should get a license to register to a full edition.
Step 2: finish installing the software by following the prompts and launch it.
Step 3: select This PC from the left sidebar.
Step 4: double click on the drive that contains your files missing from Windows 10.
Step 5: browse the files found during disk scan and check the ones you need. You should wait for the completion of the full scan when you can't find needed files from the current result.
Step 6: click on the Save button and choose another drive as the recovered data storage location. Then, click on the OK button to confirm and wait until all selected files have been recovered.
Windows 10 data backup:
Data backup is also an important part for you to ensure data security on Windows 10. You’d better form the habit of making backups of your data (at least the significant files) regularly. Even if you didn’t have a chance to back up data before they get lost, you are advised to use MiniTool ShadowMaker after you have recovered what you need through above steps.
Here’s a good hard drive disaster recovery plan for you:
I provide a comprehensive hard drive disaster recovery plan here to help people rescue data timely when necessary.
Windows 10 boot failure:
If you run into Windows 10 boot failure, you should first make sure that your data is safe. Then, you can try possible means to fix the problem.
Recover data from the unbootable system: MiniTool Power Data Recovery can also help you recover files from a hard drive without OS, but you need to get the license that contains a snap-in WinPE Bootable Builder.
Try rebuilding mbr to fix the boot problem: MiniTool Partition Wizard provides you with the Rebuild MBR function to help troubleshot boot failure caused by damaged MBR. You also need to choose the license that includes a Win-PE Based Bootable Media.
- Make MiniTool Partition Wizard bootable USB/CD/DVD on another computer.
- Connect the USB drive or insert the CD/DVD to computer and set it as the first boot device in BIOS.
- Launch the software to see its main interface and select the disk responsible for booting Windows 10.
- Click Rebuild MBR from the left panel.
- Click Apply in the upper left corner and choose Yes in the prompt window.
Adjust for Best Performance Windows 10
How to optimize Windows 10 in other ways? There do have many other effective methods for system optimization. I’ll list the most commonly used techniques for optimizing Windows 10.
Improve RAM Performance
Common ways to free up RAM:
- Restart computer
- Scan for virus and malware
- Uninstall or disable unnecessary programs
- Use lighter applications and manage them reasonably
- Increase/upgrade RAM
Improve CPU Performance
CPU stands for Central Processing Unit; it is the most important component for computer processing.
Common ways to release CPU resources:
- Keep CPU always cooling
- Scan for virus and malware
- Remove adware and bloatware
- Update the faulty and outdated drivers
- Uninstall or disable unnecessary programs
Clean up PC Windows 10
How to clean up PC Windows 10 effectively:
- Delete temporary junk files through Disk Cleanup and Storage Sense.
- Uninstall big programs and delete large files from User Folder.
- Tidy the desktop icons (try to put files and folders inside local drives).
Defragment Hard Drive
Your Windows 10 performance will be affected a lot if there are too many fragments on the PC.
- Use Defragment and Optimize Drives
- Choose quality third-party software from the market
Other skills for system performance optimization include:
- Reclaim disk space
- Install the latest update for apps and system
- Repair system files in time
- Make good use of ReadyBoost
- Run the System File Checker
- Run the System Maintenance Troubleshooter
- Turn on automatic page file management
- Pause OneDrive syncing
- Remove automatically starting apps
- Disable search indexing feature
- Disable programs running in the background
- Disable get tips, tricks, and suggestions as you use Windows
- Restore PC to a previous state by using System Restore
- Reset your PC
Please stay calm when experiencing an obvious decline in computer speed and performance. The methods mentioned in this article are practical; they have helped many users Improve Windows 10 Performance successfully in various situations.